Making banking easier

 

Bankwest competes in a highly innovative market of larger banks and disruptive financial services. My team at General Assembly had two weeks to design a mobile app that would redeliver on the brand promise.

 
 

Problem

 

Bankwest claims to make banking easier however, users do not hold that perception.

 
 

I sketched a re-brief with my team to start the project together on the same page

 
 

Competitive Research

 

Competing mobile banking applications required up to five interactions to check an account balance. Bankwest's app lagged behind at eight interactions.

 
 
 
 

User Research

 

Our first move was to create a survey to understand user attitudes towards Bankwest. An analysis of survey data fed into a strategy for scripting user interviews. The interview findings were: frustrations in a lacks of transparency, support in saving and uncontrolled spending.

 
 
Survey Findings

Survey Findings

 
 

Research Synthesis

 

I facilitated an affinity mapping activity to analyse all our collected user research. The goal was to distil the findings into a single problem statement by bridging team research into a single insight.

 

 

Problem 

Bankwest customers crave control of their finances to better serve their experiences.

Solution 

Bankwest supports users with financial visibility to make their goals more easily attainable

 

Personas

 

We aggregated our research into three key personas to design towards. I also built flows to define the pain-points we would design solutions for.

 
 
Simplified Personas

Simplified Personas

 
 

Feature Prioritisation
 

 

At this point the MVP was defined and feature prioritisation began. We rapidly prototyped these features on paper and put them in front of users to gather fast feedback on:

  • Viewing account balance prior to login

  • Richer context to purchase history

  • Mortgage payment transfer notifications

  • Easy finger scan login
 
 
Paper prototypes

Paper prototypes

 
 

Prototyping

 

We built interactive prototypes using Sketch and Invision to test with user's on an iPhone 6.

 
 
Prototypes

Prototypes

 
 

Usability Testing

 

The goal was to test the hypothesis: did designed features give users an experience of visibility and control? We tested the hypothesis by asking users to perform tasks within key user flows like logging in and checking their balance.

 
 
Usability Testing

Usability Testing

 
 

Users were positive about the features in concept however there was inconsistent feedback on function. We workshopped our data and came to a conclusion that we needed to rethink the project. 

 
 

The pattern was that in the user’s mind, visibility was equally important to optimum efficiency. This meant the prototype’s more dynamic functions were stripped down for simplicity.

 
 

Iteration

 

Users were not interested in gauges and only wanted to know the balance. The extra information in the account history was not critical.

 
 
Final Prototypes

Final Prototypes

 
 

Delivery

 

I sketched the personas on a customer journey map to quickly tell the story of how our design satisfied user pain-points for the purpose of presenting our prototype.

 
 
 
 

By delivery we were able to present a tested prototype that empowered users with transparent and efficient controls. The prototype we delivered allowed access to account balance via one to two interactions depending on whether balance display on log in was activated.

 
 
 
 

You can check out the interactive prototype on Invision below.

 
 
 

To continue perusing my work click below.